In this article, we would like to talk about our success project between Waterworks of Budapest and Centaer Consulting, that ran from March to December 2018.
Background of the project
In this article, we would like to talk about our success project between Waterworks of Budapest and Centaer Consulting, that ran from March to December 2018. Waterworks of Budapest is one of the leading water utility companies in Central and Eastern Europe. In recent years, the value-generating activities of tens of thousands of employees have contributed to their success. The 150th birthday of the utility company, that occured in 2018, served as an opportunity for our cooperation. On this occasion, the goal was to make every day a celebration for employees. We implemented it through our software application, called Motivive, and placed it in a narrative framework that allowed users to build an environmentally friendly online water city. In addition, the program focused on developing corporate culture and strengthening organizational values. The program was built on three pillars: Corporate Tradition, Innovation and Collaboration.
Objectives – change of organizational culture
Motivive is a gamification-based software designed primarily to use in a business environment. The platform allows employees to live their everyday lives in a gamified environment, in a narrative framework. Thus, users do not simply fulfill the company’s expectations and follow organizational goals, but also do it for themselves, for fun and out of intrinsic motivation. Through its community-building and inspirational power, Motivive achieves company performance by increasing employee performance and engagement. In other words, the goal of the program was to spread practices that become a habit, and a fundamental norm of collaboration that supports the achievement of company goals. We believe that practices that bring experience, inspiration, and development to our employees can work well in the long run. This will make it a common practice to use communication channels, work as a team, and give daily feedback in case of Waterworks of Budapest.
Software implementation and application process
Understanding Motivive system and using the gamification framework does not require specific previous knowledge about the system. Information and instructions were provided to the users about the interface, the menu items and the purpose of the program. To do this – among other things – we created short tutorial videos that users could watch after logging in. Similarly, we have always given instructions for various online and offline challenges well in advance. In addition, we have given the opportunity to ask questions if something was not clear to them.
Structure of the program
As mentioned above, the program was built on three pillars:
- Collaboration: Implemented through the community channel and relating challenges. The most important element of the social channel was the news feed, where users could share their experiences and successes. There were two types of challenges: community and professional challenges. For accomplishing these, we rewarded players with points, badges and collectibles related to the narrative (such as water tower, fountain, spa, wooded riverbank, etc). For instance, there were feedback challenges that allowed employees to rethink their own personality traits and character traits that were considered relevant to workplace tasks and processes. Also, the community experience was enhanced by group challenges. Thus, players had to work together as a team, encouraging each other to get better and better.
- Corporate Tradition: Embodied by quizzes and questionnaires. These allowed players to learn about the history of the organization. Before the start of the project, we prepared the thematics of the game for 10 months, with a new topic every month, each organized around the theme of water.
- Innovation: We encouraged creativity and resourcefulness primarily through skill tasks that took place in the context of offline events. For example, when participating in a charity craft fair, everyone had to make items that they sold and then gave the income for charity. Another occasion was a sport day where employees participated in team competitions.
The Motivive software application was available on computer, tablet, and smartphone as well, allowing for both office-based and out of office usage. To sum up, users were completing online and offline challenges, collecting points and building the water city. We also generated a little competition among players by ranking individual and group results. In addition, we collected anonymous statistics on participants’ activities. With the Motivive application software we have achieved the followings in case of Waterworks of Budapest:
- Reinforced team cohesion
- Built feedback culture
- Strengthened corporate values
- Enhanced employee motivation and engagement
If you would like to see specific numbers and indicators about the project results, click here.